Friday, November 8, 2013

More complicated

I am a simple guy. All I wanted was to live a simple life. Nothing complicated, nothing big. I would be very happy if I were to live in a countryside, earning moderate incomes with a wife and kids. I think that's pretty much it. I never imagined myself living in the city, working in big corporation, doing something important with big responsibilities.

When my friends hung out at the kopitiam, they talked about the stock market and securities like any good finance student should, but me, I just want to talk about football, throw a banter at some friends and talk about my family. 
When everybody was getting hyped up to work for big corporations, I just imagined my life running a small SME or some burger joint somewhere in the neighbourhood. Plus I hate big corporation. I think they're a bully and steal from small people like me.
When everybody was racing shoulder to shoulder to do well and get good grades, I just want to get by, or at least comply to my sponsor's expectation. Nothing more.

I just want to keep it simple. Even my student life right now revolves around simplicity. Like how I take english course for my language package instead of a foreign language. Not because I don't find foreign language interesting, but because that's the simplest thing to do. Learning a foreign language is much of a hassle. I also avoid from involving myself in joining student society or event secretariat because it's too much work. I just want to keep a low profile, stay under the radar, do my thing and just graduate.

Plus, I've experienced almost everything during college. So I think it's time to call it quit. I've worked with people under complex hierarchy during my college years. It's not that hard and it's not so much of a burden, but it's just not my thing. You know, like how you dont like something but yet you're surprisingly good at it, and there's stuff you like to do but yet you're awfully suck at it. Now in uni Im only involved in the simplest form of hierarchy. Futsal team. The hierarchy goes like: Coach. Captain. Players. Coach marah captain, captain marah kami. Tapi kadang-kadang kami pulak nanti marah captain. So simple.

Although I just want to lead a simple life, there are times that I've bitten more than I could chew. I promised myself to just exercise and be healthy when I entered degree life, but I went as far as playing futsal competitively, representing the varsity and the state. I also promised myself to not be involved in anything major; just do my thing and graduate, but I ended up running for the SRC election. And I dont think it helps me achieving any personal growth pun. I think it kinda ruined my perception of reality. Which even freak me out to go out there in the working world.

Winning the election sure boosted my self-esteem, but it's too big for me to handle. You gotta pick sides be it aspirasi or pro-mahasiswa, you gotta kiss someone's butt and you gotta do things that probably violate your personal values. There's not a single day gone by without me wishing to go back to my comfort zone. To that simplicity I call home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment