Thursday, May 23, 2013

Sime Darby scholarship

Received an email from a young'un asking me about Sime Darby scholarship. She got called up for an interview and was asking me for tips and advices. She mentioned that she read my interviews with New Strait Times online and that's when she looked up for me in Facebook. That's when I remember that I still have the full text interview with me. Well, it's a longer version than the one they published in NST and I figured it will be helpful for any potential scholars. Here's the selected, partial text of what I think is important
Oh and ignore the gesture remarks, it's an interview whaddya expect?


Please tell us which scholarship you received?
I received a scholarship from Yayasan Sime Darby. Trying to develop a sustainable future, Sime Darby through its foundation, has provided various type of scholarship programs for the future leaders. There are Underprivileged Sponsorship, Skilled Enrichment Sponsorship and also the Excellence Sponsorship which I was awarded with. YSD has also given out Star Scholarship for developing ‘potential stars’ in the field of arts, music, sports, environment and sciences. Azizulhasni, our national top cyclist is one of its recipients. 

Did you receive any other offers? If so, why did you pick this one over the other(s)?
I was offered several other scholarships such as JPA, Telekom and Yayasan Terengganu. But unfortunately by then I had already signed my contract with Sime Darby (laugh). But truth be told, if I was given the luxury to pick all over again, I would still pick Yayasan Sime Darby. This is because Yayasan Sime Darby has done a great job taking care of us scholars. The support that they gave is not just in monetary value, but also other aspects of our well being. We can always refer to them if we have problems. Also, annually we have a Scholar Development Program for us scholars be it local or overseas to gather and acquire soft skill to prep us for the working world. 

How did you apply for the scholarship (Online? Any payments involved? Did you get any help filling up the application?, etc)
For Yayasan Sime Darby, there is no paper used for the application. All are being done online. Even the call-up interviews were notified through e-mail. So you should always be on your toes. And always check your spam box just in case the e-mails ended up there. No payment is involved. 

Could you run us through each step of the application process?
For the application process, it consisted with two parts. The first part was pretty much standard; filling your details about yourself, your studies, achievement, etc. The second part was to answer several essay questions given to you. The questions weren’t that hard but it is crucial because the way you answer the questions might distinguish you from other candidates who probably is as good as you on paper. It took me around 45 minutes to answer the questions so make sure you have ample time before you started filling your application.

Was there an interview involved? If so, please give us a brief run through on the interview process?
Yes absolutely. It took me three interviews call up to finally secure the scholarship. Here’s a brief explanation regarding the assessment that I have undergone.


First call up:

There are two assessments that await candidates which is the impromptu speech and online assessment. In impromptu speech, candidates are given random general topics and are expected to present their views in a period of time. Up next, is the online assessment where candidate will be tested in their verbal and numerical ability using an online platform.


Second call up:

After the YSD team has shortlisted the candidates from their first call up performance, these potential candidates are being summoned for the second time. Candidates had to undergo three assessments which is group discussion, individual presentation and the competency based interview. Group discussion and individual presentation involve candidates to analyze case studies and deliver solution, ideas and views to the panelist. Competency based interview is an individual face to face interview to evaluate candidates values and traits.


Third call up:

The third call up is the final Interview. If you are called for the final interview, it is likely that the scholarship is already in the bag. It is an individual face-to-face interview with the panelist to gauge your career interest in Sime Darby and assess your values that fits into Sime Darby corporate culture.

However selection process might varies from year to year.

What do you think are the criteria that one has to have to receive this scholarship?
For me, an ideal candidate should have a great amount of general knowledge because it may help them in the interview. Candidate should also be clear and articulate in conveying their ideas and views. An ability to do abstract thinking is an advantage as it helps candidate to generate ideas from different perspective. 


What do you think set you apart from the other applicants?
Luck! (laugh) I think, maybe because I am bold. I dare to be different. I am not afraid to convey my opinion even if the majority says otherwise. For example, when candidates are asked ‘what is the most unethical things they have done in the past’, they tend to play it safe by saying the standard text-book answer like ‘plagiarism’ or ‘skipping class’. I, on the other hand, truthfully revealed nasty things about myself. Yes it might seems like suicide since you might be out of favor with the assessor, but try to reason and explain why you did what you did. I gave an analogy of how I play dirty in a football match by committing fouls against opposition team for the sake of winning. I even explained the dilemma I have to go through with people around me who thinks that’s not how the beautiful game is played. 


Any tips for the hopefuls who want to apply this year?
Do a lot of research about Sime Darby and Yayasan Sime Darby. And brace yourself, mentally and physically. During my time I had to travel to KL up to four times to attend interviews and ceremony. It is mentally exhausting not knowing what your fate holds. It is a long process, so patience is virtue. And also, just be yourself and have fun. 

What advice can you give for those who are unsuccessful in receiving a scholarship offer?
Keep on trying. It is not over till the fat lady sings. There are tons of scholarship out there up for grabs. You can always keep on applying even if you are already in uni. In the meantime, acquire new skills such as music lessons, foreign language or sports so that it can be an added value to your CV and scholarship application.

17 comments:

  1. Is it a pre-university scholarship or a degree scholarship?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, it was for a degree scholarship. but i can safely say that pre-u and degree scholarship uses the same modules

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for writing about your experience of attending YSD interview. Actually, I've passed 2nd stage and right now been called for 3rd stage which are competency based interviews and also case study presentation. Truthfully I'm so nervous since I'm not really good when it comes to interview. But I will brace myself and do my best for the sake of my own. Thanks again Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. bursary programme also has interview or not?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, since ure a sime darby scholar now, do u know anything about this yr scholarship programme? They just announced the result for phone interview im one of the successful candidate. Next stage is online assesment that will be conducted in KL. Im still contemplating whether to go or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I just got short-listed for the phone interview. I wonder if you have been through this cuz its not stated in ur post. If u do, may I ask u to share your experience? Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So how was your phone interview ? Did you get the scholarship ?

      Delete
  8. Hello. How long does it take from the case study and final interv results.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there! I wish to ask did YSD support you at the level of undergraduate study too? Or just simply foundation..? As I get the scholarship too, but struggling to make decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hye Ink,may i know did you get the offer for ysd bursary scholarship?

      Delete
    2. Nope,but I get the another one..

      Delete
    3. what scholarship you got ? and what was your SPM result ?

      Delete
  10. did you apply for the china or uk program? when did they announce it

    ReplyDelete
  11. just want to ask did any of you have been notified about the scholarship?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not yet have u??? which program u applied for

      Delete
  12. Have u been notified the results for ysd scholarships ?

    ReplyDelete