Monday, February 18, 2013

Kera Sumbang

I don't have many friends in USM during my first year here. Really, when I first enrolled here, I pretty much flew solo. I didn't really mingle with people. Maybe it was down to my 'pergi kelas, balik kelas' mentality. I didn't stay in my Tekun room and I didn't join any extracurricular activities. Which makes it harder to meet and make new friends. Plus, being a Penangite, all of my childhood and college friends are here . So yeah, why find a new friend if all my existing friends are just a motorbike ride away? 

The only people in USM I'm closed with during my first year was my futsal teammates. Ada la dalam 15 orang. But unfortunately none of them are from school of management. Eh, silap ada sorang. Tapi Din budak accounting, bukan management. So you see, during my first year I missed a lot of important dates especially the ones that are academic or school related.  I missed out doing a few quizzes because I was away and nobody informed me. I missed out on applying my major during my second semester while other diploma holders from my batch  already took their majors, which put a small dent on my mission to complete my studies in three years. 

And I missed out on a a few more things, of which I regretted missing. Back then, I have lots of friends from school of communication too. They're from my college, so yeah, they're my existing friends. There's a bunch of them who got into usm, while there were only three management students from my college who got in. So I always got things mixed up between how things are done in school of management and school of communication. For example, management students have to take 20 units of minor paper while communication students only have to take 16. Another big mixed up I did was, I thought that my internship will be done during the three months holiday but unlike communication students, our internship is done during the semester, almost four months long.

These kind of mixed up really put me at a disadvantage. Because with these misassumptions, I thought I was on track to complete my studies in three years. Tapi Alhamdulillah, nasib baik sedar awal.  But it goes without saying if I were to say that I don't have any friends from the management school at all. Ayu and Masyitah were my knights in shining armor and my confidante. They always looked out for me and always point me at the right directions. Sekali sekala tu aku kena buli, kena berleteq dengan depa. But I know deep down they are just trying to help me out. I can't thank them enough. At times when I was a little bit uninvolved in assignments and reports, they are always on my back, pushing me. But at the same time they were patience and cool about it because they knew how exactly I operate.

But things are different now. I got to meet new friends from my finance major. Dapat kenal dengan kawan-kawan diploma dari ipt lain yg satu batch. Not to forget there's plenty of my juniors who got into usm as well.    Yesterday during course registration I had to stop by at every turn, catching up with friends and waving at them. It's a nice feeling too to have a friend or two when you had to que up in a long line to get your registration done. You can catch up stories with them to pass the time. Okay I made it sounds like a big deal but yeah, in a nutshell, if it wasn't for them to reenlight my waning motivation, I wouldn't have made it out of every sem alive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment